Historical Facts About Secunderabad
- Following his defeat, the Nizam of Hyderabad Asaf Jah II was obliged to sign the Treaty of Subsidiary Alliance in 1798 and Secunderabad was established as a British cantonment. Five years later, Secunderabad was named after the third Nizam of Hyderabad Sikandar Jah.
- In 1806, Secunderabad, as a twin city of Hyderabad which is separated by the Hussain Sagar Lake was constructed during the rule of Qutb Shahi dynasty during the 16th century. Initially, the official language of Secunderabad was English. Now Urdu, Hindi and Telugu are commonly spoken in the city.
- As the trade in the city of Secunderabad was free from custom duties, it yielded an extremely profitable market such as General Bazaar and Regimental Bazaar.
- In 1857 the construction work for a seven meter high wall at Trimulgherry began which was finally finished in 1867.
- Sir Winston Churchill served as a subaltern in the British Army at Secunderabd in the 1880s. Sir Ronald Ross was also posted in Secunderabad when he was carried out his research on the causes of malaria.
- In 1945, the Secunderabad Municipality was founded which later, in 1950, became the Secunderabad Corporation. However, later, in 1964, the Hyderabad and Secunderabad municipal corporations were merged and a single Municipal Corporation was formed. Today, Secunderabad is a part of the Hyderabad district.
- In 1874, the Secunderabad Railway Station was built which is one of the largest railway stations India. This also happens to be the zonal headquarters of South Central Railway.